Monday, August 15, 2011

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland!

For Me and My Gal!

The first of three movie musicals in which Judy Garland and Gene Kelly starred in together, though they did appear separately in other movies and features.
Gene Kelly's film debut. It is known that Judy Garland got him the job after seeing him in the Broadway musical "Pal Joey".
 
This was the first film in which Judy Garland had her name billed before the title, which showed her growing importance and stature at MGM.


The Pirate!
At one time this movie was going to star Cary Grant and Greer Garson. When that project fell through it was turned into a musical.





 
Judy Garland missed 99 of the 135 shooting days due to illness.






Gene Kelly helped invent a device which allowed the bulky Technicolor cameras to shoot from low angles.



Summer Stock!




Judy Garland's last completed film for MGM. She was later cast in Royal Wedding opposite Fred Astaire, but was replaced by Jane Powell.



 
One one particular day of fiming, Judy Garland was said to be "not in a fit state to work" so Gene Kelly feigned a fall so that she would be able to take the day off.
 
 
 
This would be the last time that Gene Kelly and Judy Garland were paired together onscreen.
 
Which Garland/ Kelly movie do you like best?
 
 
 




 

2 comments:

  1. Well I haven't seen "Summer Stock" but out of the other two... I don't know.
    I might like the Pirate better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Summer Stock ether, so I like "For Me and My Gal" best!
    I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete