Sunday, March 25, 2012

1939 Three Smart Girls Grow Up......

Three Smart Girls Grow Up is a 1939 musical comedy film starring Deanna Durbin, Nan Grey and Helen Parrish as the title sisters, with Durbin and Grey reprising their roles from Three Smart Girls, and Parrish replacing Barbara Read in the role of the middle sister.
This might be my very favorite Deanna Durbin movie! At least it's one of three that are my favorites!

Charles Previn was music director in many of Deanna's movies, and his role in
THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP is his only appearance in a Durbin vehicle.

Robert Cummings, who played Harry Loren was given a big career boost by being in
THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP. He gave the credit for his success to Joe Pasternak
and Henry Koster who discovered the type of character he could play best.

In the movie Penny sings "Because" at her sisters wedding.And in real life, Deanna sang Because at her sister's wedding back
in 1936.

Director Henry Koster visits with Nan Grey and Helen Parrish. Grey and Parrish are resting on slant boards which are used to avoid creasing costumes between takes.

Deanna Durbin speaking with Henry Koster during a break in the filming of
THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP

Deanna Durbin discussing a scene with Helen Parish and Henry Koster during the
production of THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP

It wasn't until Deanna made THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP that she discovered
something about herself:"I wasn't nervous in front of the camera any
more. I suppose by that time I had done everything - happy scenes, sad ones,
angry ones, - that a girl my age could be expected to do naturally, so it wasn't
difficult to do them again. Since then, I can't understand why anybody should
have camera fright - except on the first day of a picture, when I still tremble
and shake."

Deanna Durbin arrives with Nan Grey and Helen Parrish for the premiere of THREE
SMART GIRLS GROW UP
Deanna Durbin being interviewed by Joe Valentine at the premiere of THREE SMART
GIRLS GROW UP


Premiere night of THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP.


The Last Rose of Summer.
Quotes:
Penny Craig: Did you have any trouble finding the house? Harry Loren: Yes, I walked past it twice. I thought it was a Museum of Natural History or something the WPA built.

Harry Loren: Dad was a lawyer. He always wanted to be a musician - you should have heard him play the cello! But his father made him be a lawyer. They were all lawyers, his father, his grandfather - his great-grandfather was a pirate too. They hanged him in Jamaica. I guess that's why Dad never liked to wear a necktie. Penny Craig: We had a grandfather who was a horse thief. Dorothy Craig: A great-great-grandfather, Penny. And he didn't really steal the horses. Kay Craig: And they didn't hang him. Penny Craig: 'Cause they couldn't catch him.

Binns the Butler: Miss Penny's just a child, sir... Harry Loren: I don't want biographies, I want my hat and coat. Binns the Butler: That poem, sir, "The best-laid schemes of mice and men..." Harry Loren: I don't want poetry, I don't want mice, I want my hat and coat. Binns the Butler: Very good, sir, but I do feel... Harry Loren: Now look here, young fellow. Your eyes have been burning holes in the back of my head all evening. And if I see you looking at me once again I'm going to get very mad and take you apart until I find that little machine that says "Yes sir, no sir, very good, sir," and I'm going to break it, see? Binns the Butler: Yes, sir. Harry Loren: Now get my hat and coat. Binns the Butler: Very good, sir.
Cast:
Deanna Durbin as Penelope 'Penny' Craig
Nan Grey as Joan Craig
Helen Parrish as Katherine 'Kay' Craig
Charles Winninger as Judson Craig
Nella Walker as Mrs. Craig
Robert Cummings as Harry Loren
William Lundigan as Richard Watkins
Ernest Cossart as Binns, the butler
Felix Bressart as a music teacher

7 comments:

  1. I love this movie! :)
    what other two are your favorites?
    I love Bob Cummings, he's the reason "It Started With Eve" is my favorite Deanna Durbin movie! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL really?!!
    I love him but I like Deanna Durbin better!

    "Nice Girl", and "First Love"!
    Funny they were all made around the same time!
    I guess I like her at that age the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!!!
    I love the quotes!
    And the premire night for Three Smart Girls was great too!
    I like how all the pictures are in order!
    I try to do that sometimes.
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Deanna Durbin's swirly sparly dress in the 13th to the 16th photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    I guess this post took at least an hour te make!
    Oh so do I!
    I like it better than the one she wears to the party!
    Which is your favorite Deanna Durbin movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure... I like Three Smart Girls Grow Up, Mad About Music, and It's A Date! I'm not sure if it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love this movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Deanna Durbin...wow! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete